Sunday 16 May 2010

Run no 12

Ater a particularly hard 3 miler yesterday I wasn't exactly looking forward to the 6.5 miler today. It was a pleasant, warm evening with a slight breeze so at least I couldn't blame the weather. Had another good, steady paced run even managing to throw in a couple of short sprints to get me passed some road junctions and up a couple of short hills. Haven't plugged the Garmin in to confirm the time but from what I can see I reckon it was perhaps only 20-30 secs slower than last week when I ran with Tommy so overall very happy again.

Update - just uploaded the data, I was 19 secs slower but my average heart rate fell from 158 to 154 so rather happy.

4 comments:

  1. good to see your still sticking at it and hopefully enjoying it (thats the main thing), dont worry to much if you miss days every so often rest days are part of your training! I have only been running 3 days a week for the last 4 months and still managed 3 ultras in the last 6 weeks, its the rest that helps you get through it.

    if your mate still wants to sign up for LNM he can join a running club for cheap then enter as a club runner. other option is go to fetcheveryone.com and there is a LNM thread your be able to find people planning running about the same time as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Mike, I only run 3 days a week and have done 2 ultras and doing Edin mara on Sunday. Rest days are great! You are running well, don't need to do too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, yeah really enjoying it. Dont mind admitting it's hard at the time but I'm always looking forward to my next run. Now I'm on the official week 1 of 20 I notice my rest days have dropped to only 2 (Mon and Fri) with 3 consecutive days (Tues, Wed & Thurs). I'm a bit concious that as the legs are a bit older now the recovery time is taking a bit longer. Would I be correct in thinking if I decided to lay off say the Wed occassionally it wouldn't have too much an impact?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely say laying off the occasional Wednesday would be a good thing. I probably train even less than MikeR or Vikki and although I haven't had their success, it's still got me through a marathon and an ultra (just in both cases ;) ). Over training increases your injury risk and I would say the jury's still out on whether 4+ runs a week is any better than 3-4. Keep going but don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete