Sunday 18 July 2010

Run no 53

Set out just after 7am and despite it being an early Sunday morning there was unfortunately still a lot of traffic on the road. It was overcast but quite warm so fairly ideal conditions. My aim today was to just get around and put all the negativity of the past few runs behind me and try and get focussed and positive.

Made sure I had my lucozade strapped to my back.

Quickly got into my pace and aimed to get thru each mile in 10mins. Settled in well and got around all 14 miles in 2hrs and 16 mins averaging 9.47 mins per mile which I am very happy with.

TBH the biggest plus for me was completing it without any thoughts of wanting to stop. I felt pretty good the whole way round and finished feeling pretty fresh although the old legs were starting to feel a bit heavy at the end. Reckon I could have managed a couple of more miles so at least I'm now running over half the required distance which is I'm delighted with.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I read up on your running downturn after getting back. We all have bad runs and bad weeks. Being able to crack out a very decent long run at the end of it is good news. Good wee pace as well - am I right in thinking that this is the longest you have ever ran?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, yeah it is. The farthest I'd run previous was a half-marathon so I'm into unchartered territory now.

    Must admit after the 2 bad runs (one of which was my own doing wearing rain proof clothes)I was so disallusioned and disappointed that I started to wonder how I was going to get over the urge to stop running whenever I tire and have doubts about my ability to run the marathon. I know people say it's no big deal if you have to stop and walk but in all the years of running I've always felt stopping, even for a few seconds as a sign of failure, which is daft I know, but that's me.

    Anyway, hopefully I've got over this barrier and I can keep the progress going. That's me almost half-way into the training now, just finished week 9 so I'm still hopefully on track.

    Trust you enjoyed the holiday, did you go anywhere nice?

    How is your own training?

    ReplyDelete