Monday 26 April 2010

The seed is planted

Since my early teens I've always been an active, fairly fit individual. The main exercise was running, completing a lot of 10ks and half a dozen 1/2 marathons. At the turn of the new millenium I decided to park the running career and apply myself to lifting weights. Over the next 7 years I got myself to a respectable standard, something I was extremely proud off. Sadly a combination of work commitments and my gym partner moving away put paid to regular training and about a year ago after numerous cancelling and rejoining I decided to knock the gym on the head. These last 12 months have seen my exercise schedule deplete to virtually nothing bar the very, very occasional 2 mile run.

Sat on my lazy behind on Sun watching the London Marathon got me thinking about reigniting the running and attempting the famous 26 miler. A bit of research later on the net made it pretty clear getting accepted for the London one was a very much a lottery. My mate Dave (a keen runner) yesterday asked why don't I stick my name down for the Loch Ness Marathon in Oct which give me all the incentive I need to get in a suitable shape. Sadly a futher incentive is to raise a bit of cash in memory of a close colleague Big Dave who passed away suddenly last Monday.

So, as from today, the training begins........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment